Economic Assistance

Call the office in the county you live in and ask for a Financial Assistance Worker. Application forms may be sent via the mail or you can apply online. If you call, a worker can give you instructions over the phone on what to bring in for the interview. You may come to the county office and ask for an application and schedule an interview.


Fill out the Combined Application Form (CAF) Part I and Part II. This combined form is for SNAP and Cash. All people in the household and their income must be listed. Bring in Part I to the office as soon as you can. Your assistance may begin from the date you sign Part I and get it to the office. Bring in all verifications of information required and attend an interview with a financial worker. SNAP applications may be done over the phone or in person. If you don’t bring in the necessary information, there may be a delay in determining eligibility for any of the programs for which you are applying.


If you are applying for a health care program only, when you call, you can request a Health Care Application be mailed to you. You would then not need to come into the office for an interview. You may also get a Health Care Application online from the State of Minnesota website.

All programs have income limits which you must meet and verify to be eligible. Some programs have resource limits. These income and resource limits are different for each program. You may have someone else apply for you; however, you must give your written consent for this. The other person is called “the authorized representative”

In an emergency situation, you may call or go to the office in the county you live in immediately and explain the situation. You may be able to get assistance the same day. Your emergency must meet the requirements for each program to receive assistance.


If you require the services of an interpreter, please let your county office know in advance of that need.

Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex (including gender identity and sexual orientation), religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity.

Program information may be made available in languages other than English.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication to obtain program information (e.g., Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language), should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.

To file a program discrimination complaint, a Complainant should complete a Form AD-3027, USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form which can be obtained online at:, from any USDA office, by calling (833) 620-1071, or by writing a letter addressed to USDA. The letter must contain the complainant’s name, address, telephone number, and a written description of the alleged discriminatory action in sufficient detail to inform the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights (ASCR) about the nature and date of an alleged civil rights violation. The completed AD-3027 form or letter must be submitted to:

  1. mail:
    Food and Nutrition Service, USDA
    1320 Braddock Place, Room 334
    Alexandria, VA 22314; or
  2. fax:
    (833) 256-1665 or (202) 690-7442; or
  3. email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.