Marriage Services


Applications for a marriage license are accepted between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. at the Wilkin County Courthouse at 300 1st St S in Breckenridge. No appointment is needed.


Application Requirements


Applicants must apply in person and present proof of age. Proof of age is established by one of the following:

  1. Certified copy of a birth certificate
  2. Driver’s license or other identification card issued by a government entity
  3. A school record, immigration record, naturalization record, court record, or other document or record issued by a government entity that contains the date of birth of a party

The marriage license application can be filled out online. The application does NOT need to be printed by the applicants. Signatures will be done in person at the time of completion and payment in the Recorder’s Office. Applicants must appear in person to complete the application process within 90 days.  If one of the applicants cannot appear in person, please contact the Recorder’s Office to discuss your options.


If either person has had a previous marriage, termination type (death, divorce or annulment), the date, city, state, and county of termination must be provided on the application.


Both applicants must be at least 18 years of age.


A $115 Marriage License fee or a $40 Reduced Marriage License fee with an Educator’s Statement (PDF).  Payment can be made with cash, check or credit card.  A $1.95 fee will be charged to use a credit card.


Once the license is issued, it is valid for six months and must be used in the state of Minnesota.


Applicants that have a felony conviction will not be able to able to change their name through the marriage application process. If a name change is desired, it must go through the court name change process.  Minnesota Statute 259.10 lays out the requirements for a MN resident to apply for a name change through the district court.  Minnesota Statute 259.13, subd. 5 allows a person with a felony conviction to apply for a name change through the district court for no fee if the person files the action within 180 days after the marriage and a certified copy of the marriage certificate is submitted to the court..  For non-Minnesota residents, contact the district court for your county of residence for further guidance.


No blood tests are required.


No Refunds are issued.




A certified copy of a marriage certificate can be obtained in the county where the marriage license application was made. The fee is $9.00.