Burning Permits

Permits for open burning are required. Permits can be issued for burning of vegetative fuels only. Burn barrels are allowed for vegetative fuels only and burning without a permit is allowed only during the hours of 6:00 pm to 8:00 am. Burning during other periods of the day requires a permit.

Permits can be obtained from the Wilkin County Sheriff, at 643-8544. Permits are also available from the fire chiefs in Rothsay, Wolverton, Foxhome, Campbell, and Barnesville.

Some items that you cannot burn include: tires, car bodies, shingles, tar paper, waste oil, old buildings, or other materials that will produce large quantities of noxious smoke.